Sr. Design Engineer
Dorel Juvenile, a segment of Dorel Industries, Inc. (TSX:DII.B, DII.A) is a world class juvenile products company. Dorel Juvenile’s powerfully branded products include global juvenile brands Safety 1st, Quinny, Maxi-Cosi and Tiny Love, complemented by regional brands such as Cosco, Bébé Confort and Infanti. Dorel Industries Inc. has annual sales of US$2.6 billion and employs approximately 10,000 people in facilities located in twenty-five countries worldwide. We are continuously extending our leading market position and believe team spirit, personal drive, and accountability can make a real difference in achieving the sustainable growth essential to our future. We research, design, develop, and test our products in-house, giving employees opportunities to gain inter-departmental experience. Our aim is to introduce and grow talent at all levels of our organization. Our global organization and our international supplier and customer base allow employees to collaborate with juvenile colleagues and partners from all over the world. Working at Dorel Juvenile means having a real impact on people’s lives. Come join our team…together we care about the precious lives of children.
We are looking for a Senior Design Engineer to help us create a new generation of innovative products across our highly regulated Juvenile Consumer Products industry. This position will be responsible for the development and validation of products from conception through design, sourcing, testing and production. Working as part of our Product Development team, you will bring technical substance and inspiration to our creative efforts and ensure that imaginative but credible solutions populate our ambitious product roadmap.
- Research and provide new technological opportunities to drive category innovation and market share expansion.
- Lead product development projects in design engineering, specifications development, concept and feasibility assessment, design reviews, prototyping and testing.
- Provide product design engineering and product quality engineering services to ensure all developed and sourced products meet design goals, marketing objectives, and quality, compliance and safety requirements.
- Understand system and sub-system level interactions and failure modes.
- Detailed design of components and sub-assemblies by material selection, dimensions and tolerances to meet product specifications and manufacturing feasibility through technical analysis including DFMEA, Tolerance Analysis, FEA and DFM/DFA.
- Generate and manage technical specifications, technical data (3D and 2D), technical product definitions and functional descriptions for new product development projects.
- Understand and interpret Regulatory and Compliance standard and their applicability to Dorel products.
- Develop measurement systems to provide data and rationales for Dorel internal product requirements.
- Conduct consumer facing activities to develop consumer needs and consumer satisfaction metrics.
- Integrate “voice of the consumer” considerations into new product development.
- Develop and manage Design Validation Plans (DVP) including all Regulatory, Compliance and Dorel internal requirements.
- Troubleshoot test failures, generate solution concepts and provide guidance for design changes and test protocol improvements for non-conforming product.
- Evaluate product samples and provide feedback and direction for proposed design solutions to address technical shortcomings to global product development teams and sourcing teams.
- Conduct benchmarking and GAP analysis of competitor samples and incorporate competitive advantages into product designs
- Provide engineering services for test fixture design and prototype creation by utilizing on-site services such as 3D printing and the machine shop.
- Drive and participate in VA/VE activities during and post-development to increase profitability and enhance product function without compromising product cost.
- Evaluate product packaging and instruction manuals to validate product functionality is clearly communicated in relation to intended design goals, product marketing claims, and legal cautions and warnings.
- Work in conjunction with the lab test team to develop necessary new test methods for new and existing products.
- Communicate ideas quickly and effectively using a combination of sketching, CAD layouts, 3D models and working prototypes to evaluate potential solutions.
- Enhance team productivity and effectiveness by enacting positive changes on NPD processes and communications.
- Provide technical support to the Customer Care team related to developed and sourced products.
- Apply a comprehensive understanding of high-volume manufacturing processes and materials to optimize designs.
- Continually evaluate and improve designs for cost effectiveness, manufacturing improvements, increased reliability, consumer usability and value.
- Ability to manage multitask daily activities with low supervision (self-driven).
- Evaluate and interpret intellectual property landscape to determine viability of design solutions for implementation into new product development projects.
Experience and Skills
- Minimum 6+ years of experience in a mechanical design engineering environment, preferably within Consumer Goods Industry.
- Advanced knowledge in plastic injection molded components design.
- Proficient in design tools including DFMEA, GD&T, Tolerance Stack up.
- Basic manual tool skills required, machine tool (lathe and mill) experience a plus.
- Knowledge of related ASTM standards that pertain to juvenile consumer products desired.
- Proficient in the use of Quality tools including Star Walk, Consumer UX studies, QFD.
- Strong communication skills and is comfortable working in cross functional teams, including globally.
- Proven structured approach to creative problem solving using A3s, 8Ds, etc.
- Significant experience with 3D design using CAD platforms, SolidWorks preferred.
- Microsoft office skills required, experience with Excel VBA coding is a plus.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
Are you ready to grow with us?
The people behind our products and brands make Dorel an even stronger company. We are extending our leading market position and believe team spirit, personal drive and accountability can make a real difference in achieving sustainable growth. This is essential to our future. We invite you to grow with us!
Want to work with us?